Tuesday, June 12, 2007

working for yourself




Man, it's hard working for yourself, I've been doing it full time for about a year and a half, and I really love it, but it's hard not having a regular paycheque. I got bummed out recently when a friend got a really high paying job, and started questioning if it's the right decision, but then I read an article on CNN Money about entrepreneurs, and it got me stoked again. They have some great lessons:

Lesson: If you must borrow from your friends and family, keep it formal

Lesson: Prep as much as you can while you're on someone else's payroll

Lesson: Do what makes you happy - because at first, happiness is likely to be your main reward

(I totally believe in this rule, I try to make all my projects things that I'm totally passionate about)

Lesson: It's not who you know - it's how well you keep in touch with them

Lesson: You'll amaze yourself at how cheaply you can run a business when it's yours

(Totally. I was always told "you have to spend money to make money", but I don't believe that anymore, I now believe "you have to save money to make money")

Lesson: That great idea you had for your boss? Maybe it's the business you're looking for.

(Yep)

Lesson: Help investors see that taking a chance on you is not that big a risk after all

(That's very interesting, I'm going to have to try it. So far I haven't had to ask for any money.)

Lesson: Picking the right partner can be as important as picking a product

(Totally)