Monday, October 30, 2006

Calm Technology is technology that helps us to be conscious and present, it is computers being a quiet, invisible servant.

This is how I have my Linux environment setup, with zsh, Emacs and Enlightenment. The computer starts to disappear, and a glimpse into the world opens up. The windows are gentle pictures, a subtle blend of colours and shapes, there are multiple desktops and multiple screens on each desktop, in the shape of a 5-dimensional hypercube, I can go to any screen with at most two keypresses. No fancy-pants rotating icons or program docks, just a gentle place to exist. My music player is the command line mplayer, because it's on the command line, I get all the power of zsh to make my playlists.

To play a song, I go

m songname.mp3

to delete a song, I go

rm songname.mp3

which is actually four keystrokes:

"arrow up" - Shows the last command I typed (which was "m songname.mp3")
ctrl-a - Goes to the start of the line
r - Adds an "r" to the "m", giving "rm", or remove file
return - Executes the command

Calm Technology comes from an article written by Mark Weiser.