Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Links can be fun:

Google Headquarters
Using memcached for Ruby on Rails sessions - I'm using this, and it's very fast. It's supposed to speed things up by 25%-30%, I haven't benchmarked it, but it was quite easy to install and runs great.
Usual Benchmarks for Ruby on Rails - The next stage in my application design for LoveMyGarden.net, benchmark things and then speed them up.
Railsbench - Benchmarking Ruby on Rails
Railsbench on RubyForge
open source eye tracking software - I previously posted articles about using eye-tracking to monitor web site usage, this would be a great company to start, tracking users eye movements on websites and charging people for the service.
19 Tricks most Rails programmers don't know - I learned some tricks from this list, very good.
mod_proxy_balancer - Right now I'm just using apache 2.0 and one Mongrel, but soon will move to 2.2 with a pack of Mongrels.
Introducting Capistrano
Getting started with Mongrel
Apache, Mongrel and Capistrano - I found Capistrano a little heavy-weight for my current needs, so I'm just using Apache and Mongrel, which is working great, so fast, way easier than that FastCGI nonsense I was using before.
Mongrel and Apache 2 on Debian - Some good points, but better to use Apache 2.2, with mod_proxy_balancer.
mod_proxy in Apache.
Google Checkout XML API
Managing many to many relationships with pl/pgSQL
Sixth Sense: The Vomeronasal Organ
Trees and Don Knuth
A crash course in Subversion
Linux essentials - According to an ex-Mac guy. My Linux essentials: xemacs, enlightenment, firefox, opera, mplayer, streamripper, find, gnome-terminal. I used to use xmms, but mplayer does it all. xemacs could do it all, I would use Emacs, but it just feels to authoritarian, XEmacs just feels more free, and ironically, it works better in a text-only window. That's right, I use -nw mode exclusively, windows are for the weak.
Web as a pipe
Working Assumption - Pictures by Kim Waldron. She lived in Paris, and went to people's workplaces, dressing in their clothes, and took pictures of herself. Canadian artist.
A history of Ketchup - A fasinating article! On the history of ketchup of all things! Umami...
Where visual design meets usability
Neat tricks in the new Emacs 22 - Hmmm, might have to change to Emacs now... Drat. Some great general Emacs tips in this article as well, like how to generate a list with increasing numbers, something I often find myself wanting to do.
The power of Prototype.js
Continuations and Advanced Flow Control
Ruby idioms
Rails reference
The complete guide to Rails plugins
A DOM ready extension for Prototype
Writing custom iterators for Prototype
Setting up Subversion
Ruby on Rails and Google/Yahoo maps
Mongrel and Rails with Apache 2.2 and SSL
Scaling Rails with Apache 2.2, mod_proxy_balance and Mongrel
mongrel_cluster 0.1.1
Apache for static and Mongrel for Rails
Installing Capistrano
Testing your Rails views with Hpricot.
The Aesthetic sense and comptuer interfaces