Sunday, December 28, 2008

OLPC



My dear sister Melissa gave me an OLPC for Christmas! Sweeeet! It's a great little machine, the best part is that when the backlight on the display is powered off, you can view the screen in light. This means massive battery life. It was perfect on the train down from Courtney to Victoria, I had Emacs fired up and was browsing through the source code of Marsyas.

OLPC Links:

Activated Upgrade
Autoreinstallation image
Getting a developer key
Hacking your XO
Test Network Configuration
Anaconda Kickstart
Hacking the XO at geek.com
Hacking Sugar
Hacking the OLPC XO Laptop - Part 1: Initial Setup
OLPC upgrade
Upgrading the XO
How to check the OS and firmware versions
Clean-install procedure - I had problems with olpc-upgrade, so I just did a fresh install and it worked great. I went from version 656 to 767, and it was a huge change, and for the better. Now the power button suspends the laptop. Much better.
OS images
JFFS2 - Journalling Flash File System version 2. Interesting, it says that it's journalled, but on my old 656 install, a forced powerdown caused the OLPC to wait for a long time as it checked the file systems.
Release notes for 8.2.0.