Wednesday, May 09, 2007

whale speech




An interesting article about analyzing Humpback whale speech.

I'm involved with a project to understand Orca song, recorded over many years by Dr. Paul Sprong of Orcalab. They have recorded something like 20,000 hours of whale song, and I'm helping to develop a website to let researchers access and analyze the data. I'm working with Dr. George Tzanetakis of the University of Victoria on this.

This is another article on Humpback whale speech, about how it has it's own grammar, which is similar to the grammar of human language.

I love my life that I'm creating up here on the edge of civilization, I'm working on so many different projects, from doing biochemistry programming with CMD Bioscience to building my own Ruby on Rails websites like lovemygarden.net, to doing hardcore Ruby on Rails web programming for sites like handpickedyarn.com to doing web design with my new business parterJennifer Derton. Then, I have my great garden just outside, and I go work out at the gym 5 days a week, it's a pretty sweet life.

But, the thing that is totally burning a hole in my brain right now is doing cloud computing for structural biology. In some ways, I feel that I should keep this to myself until it's ready for the world, but the ideas I'm having are just so huge that I feel that I should get them out there, so that more people can get involved with it and help it grow. The one thing I know is that I'm going to GPL the code. I'm a huge believer in the GPL, it's the only way to do software, the only way.