Friday, March 24, 2006

I had a problem with XEmacs gnuserv when running on a Xen installation, running Fedora Core 4:

When I would start gnuserv, it would immediately terminate, saying that I had to restart it with M-x gnuserv-start. When I tried to run the gnuserv program from the command line, it would indeed terminate immediately. I tracked this down to a problem in the source code, the symbol INTERNET_DOMAIN_SOCKETS was present and yet the following code would immediately exit:


#ifdef INTERNET_DOMAIN_SOCKETS
ils = internet_init(); /* get an internet domain socket to listen on */
#endif /* INTERNET_DOMAIN_SOCKETS */


When I removed this code, gnuserv would run normally, and I could use gnuclient to connect to my running XEmacs process that had (gnuserv-start) in the .xemacs/init.el file. Interesting.