Wednesday, May 02, 2007

not an engineer




One thing I've noticed in the last 10 years is that a lot of programmers are calling themselves engineers. I would just like to say that I am not an engineer, I'm an artist, code poet, techno-shaman, and I'm not an engineer.

Engineers are great, they help to build bridges, to build machines and airplanes, to make sure that the gears don't grind, and that things move smoothly.

I'm a breaker, I want to change the way that we think of computers and ourselves, to help people understand themselves better, to help them communicate with others. I want to play with computers, to have fun, create new things, be wild, creative and inventive.

I know that there are a lot of us out there, and we can continue to play, while the engineers perfect things and make them work smoothly. But someone has to come up with the creative ideas first, and most great creative ideas come out of play, out of art.