Friday, May 18, 2007

Virtual workouts can be dangerous




Virtual Trainers can be hazardous to your health. I really like having a personal trainer, I had one in Edmonton, and she really helped me to optimize my workout. I have a trainer down in Victoria, her name is Deryn Macey, and when I last when to see her, she helped me correct some of the small alignment issues that I had, these helped my workout a lot.

One of them was that I was dropping too much in the middle doing pushups, and that this was putting strain on my lower back. I'm now concious of that, and I've noticed that it's really helping.

I'm working with Deryn now to build a website for Personal Trainers, to let them interact with their clients over the internet. I think that something like this is much better than a virtual trainer, a computer program that just puts you through a programmed workout. The virtual trainer might push you too hard, or rather, you might get the program to push you too hard, which could lead to injury.

My fitness philosophy now is to go hard, but to think of getting in shape as a life-long process, something that I want to do for the rest of my life, and that getting injured in my quest to get fit too quickly isn't going to help anybody.