Tuesday, May 15, 2007

community




A Bokardo article about Why you should be part of your community. Very true.

It references Some Community tips for 2007 which also looks good.

I was really trying to do this with lovemygarden.net but I'm just so busy, I just forget to keep adding blog entries. What I need to do is to link that in with Emacs, like I have with the amazing gblogger.el so that I can just hit a button and post a blog post to lovemygarden.net. I also need something simple like Picasa to upload my pictures, or perhaps I can put some kind of hack on my snessnet picasaweb site to upload the pictures to lovemygarden.

What I am realizing more and more is that I just don't have the time to wait for slow web interfaces. I want things now and fast, or I've switched to another workspace and the idea is gone. With my new websites, I want to focus on really quick fast websites, where you don't have a lot of AJAX crap slowing things down. I am going to think very very hard about every AJAX thing I add from now on.

But I'm also going to think for all the commonly used actions if there is a way to expose an API for it, and a way to have a really small desktop client access them. I just love interacting with the web with Emacs so much, it makes life so much faster, with a standard interface and fonts.

I still want gorgeous websites to suck me in, to make me want to participate, but when I become a member of the community, I want it to be just so ultra-fast and configurable that I want to keep interacting more and more.