Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Oh man, I'm having WAY too much fun with this new Emacs. There are some *sweet* features in Emacs 22.

One of my favorite is the new Macro system. You start a macro with F3, and end it with F4. You can then execute it with F4. This is already nicer than it used to be, but the sweetness comes when you can go and edit those macros in a nice looking macro editor. Mmm, tasty nums. And I accidently typed F3 again while defining the macro, and it looks like this lets you define a macro counter, which increases by one each time the macro is executed.

Like, you could probably do all of this before, but it's just so nice to have this all ready to go.

I'm so happy with Emacs 22. And I was thinking about it today, it's more like 8 years that I've been away from Emacs and on XEmacs. Don't get me wrong, XEmacs is really sweet as well, it has great package management, and you don't have to go to an unreleased Bazaar branch to get multiple ttys. But Emacs is really sweet. Sweet like honey.