Tuesday, June 10, 2008

xosd




I was using tzosdclock for displaying the time in the corner of my screen. It uses xosd.

I used it in my .lircrc like this:


begin
button = Back
prog = irexec
repeat = 0
config = /usr/sness/bin/tzosdclock -fn '-*-helvetica-bold-r-normal-*-34-*-*-*-*-*-*-*' -tc black -oc white -ft "%I:%M %p" -ha right -os 10
config = killall -9 tzosdclock
end


This worked great, but I found that I was limited by the fact that I couldn't use large truetype fonts, so I switched to urxvtc running a little Ruby program:


#!/usr/bin/ruby

while(1)
date = Time.now.strftime("%I:%M %p")
printf "#{date}\r"
$stdout.flush
sleep 30
end


And started it on startup with


eesh -e "goto_desktop 3"
eesh -e "goto_area 1 0"
urxvtc -fn "xft:Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-100" -geometry 8x1-0+0 -bl -b 3 +ptab -rv -e sh -c 'clockr.rb'


Which worked even better. Now I just switch to that desktop, which has aumix in text format, and the clock, and looks like this: