Sunday, April 27, 2008

zed misses the point




Zed Shaw completely misses the point about, Literate Programming. He says that you should have your english and your code in two separate files, and then combine them with a compiler. This is exactly wrong, you want your description of the algorithm right next to the algorithm itself, so that the two don't diverge when you change your code.

When I program, I think about the story that I want to tell, and then I write a small outline or paragraph about what I how I want the code to tell the story, then I write the code, and then I write more documentation about the code.

It would be really nice though if I could just hide the story like collapsing an outline in Emacs, so that I could focus on just the code when I want, or just the documentation, but having the two in different files is just wrong.