Friday, September 07, 2007

quicksilver




A very cool Quicksilver demo by its creator, Nicholas Jitkoff.

Now, we just need to do that with Emacs instead.

I've been thinking for some time that Emacs should start recognizing common keystrokes and command paths and offer to create macros of them for you.

Also, we need a better way to call and assign macros to keys. I guess it's not too bad:


(kmacro-start-macro-or-insert-counter)
do things here
(kmacro-end-or-call-macro)
(name-last-kbd-macro)
(global-set-key)


But I just don't find myself doing this all that much.

I do create a lot more macros though, with the new F3 and F4 keys in Emacs 22. I just need a better way to keep track of them. Often, they should offer to create themselves, binding themselves to a Super-key or Hyper-key, to differentiate them from normal macros.

So, I should sometime get Super- and Hyper- working. I just about had it, but it got too a little too confusing with xmodmap.